Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Marriage

As my other half and I take the appropriate steps toward being married, we have begun asking each other the more challenging questions. The one that has been on my mind most: "What does marriage mean to you?"

Jeff asked me this way back in March or April and I kind of flipped on him. We hadn't been together long and he brought it out of the blue, we hadn't really talked about getting married and I sure wasn't prepared to answer such a question. At that point I was still ecstatic that I still had a boyfriend. I wasn't planning that far ahead!

Anyway, marriage has come up in conversation a lot more often. We both frequently entertain the idea and often share our feelings with one another and celebrate what the future holds. Tonight as I was reading I thought back to when Jeff asked me the, then tough, question. He probably answered the question then, since he asked it, but I couldn't remember what he had told me. So I asked him again. And he told me the words that I would've told him had he asked me again.

To us, marriage is a commitment. It's saying, "I want to be with you forever." It means we are meant for each other. It means our love for one another is deeper than ever before. Hopefully, it means that there is complete trust that no one will ever interfere with our relationship. It means we're it for each other.



Happily, we are working towards a wedding. It's going to take a lot of work, but I know we can do it. (the planning, not the marriage) Right now, the plan is to do most of the work ourselves and enlist our close friends and families to help out with things like food and flowers. The critical details such as when, where, and whom are on standby until "The Question" is popped. We have a good idea of how we want things to go down, and where and all that jazz. This waiting stuff is killing me though. He occasionally gives me little hints, like that he's been saving a lot of money, and that he's found something he might buy soon and he can answer me when I ask when it's going to happen (he says before January first) and that helps build the anticipation. I'm so not the typical girl, I want to know all the secrets!



TTFN

Brittany

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ugh, misspelled words! I tried to get this to a word document and then back to my blog and you CANT do that.....