Tuesday, April 6, 2010

College- The Full Circle

It struck me today that the last four years of my life have been quite a journey. It was an experience and a bit of an experiment. I wouldn't take any of it back or change one single moment. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and this is no exception.
My other half called me a few weeks ago and hassled me about not being the woman he fell in love with and tried to convince me that he saw me struggling to be someone I was not. Of course my stubbornness kicked in and I denied all of it. I had a rough couple of weeks recently where I certainly was trying to be someone that I am not. I wanted to pretend to be 22 year old like my friends. I wanted to pretend that the bars and alcohol were my scene. I wanted to pretend that I was fun and outgoing in the same ways a lot of college aged people are. But the truth is, I'm not.
I am fun and outgoing and a normal 22 year old. But I do think my way. I've never been one to follow the pack and try to fit in. I'm comfortable sitting on the outside looking in. But the truth is, the woman he fell in love with probably wasn't the real me either. When I think about who I am, I'd like to describe myself as a Christian and a person who seeks God. I look back to when I first started college and I think that's the real me, that's who I was when I was at peace with the world before. And now I'm working on getting back to that.
You see, my life is coming full circle (in a way). I started out as a devout Christian, who attended church more than once a week. My circle of friends all stemmed from my place of worship and my extra curricular activities revolved around the fellowship and worship with those people. I drifted when I left for Disney, although that had not been the original intent, it happened. I fell away from my habits and tried to fit in. I became the complete opposite of what I had always known. There are things that changed during that time that will forever be a part of who I am now, but most of the differences won't last and shall fade over time.
When I began my career at Purdue University 4 years ago I thought of myself as an adult. I thought I was mature for my age and did everything to maintain that. Now that my time is coming to end, I am much more mature and am definitely an adult. I look at things differently and my goals are different, but I feel almost back to normal.
I know that I am still young and still have time to change and think and reflect and learn and I plan on doing all of the above, but I have also already learned that sometimes you have to step away and be something different before you can appreciate what's right in front of you.

No comments: